Which team was the most popular bet on the NFL Week 1 schedule? No, you’ll never guess.
Final numbers might differ slightly depending on when you placed your bets, but when all was said and done, 10 favourites covered the point spread compared to just six underdogs in Week 1. It looked like it might have been an even bigger week for chalk bets until dogs dominated the Monday Night Football doubleheader.
NFL Betting Odds
Most Popular Bets
- New England Patriots – The Super Bowl champs defended their title with a bang with a win over Pittsburgh. A good number of Sports Interaction bettors earned a push with the Patriots winning by 28-21 as 7-point favourites, but New England was the most popular bet on the board in taking in 9.2 percent of Week 1’s overall handle against the spread with Patriots bets doubling Steelers bets. To put that in context, Patriots bets alone nearly topped the handle of Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers bets combined. The Week 2 point spread had the Patriots set as 1-point favourites at Buffalo.
- Dallas Cowboys – Dallas ranks No. 2 on the Week 1 most bet list. Bettors loved the Cowboys on Sunday Night Football, but the Cowboys couldn’t cover the point spread as touchdown favourites. Now we’ll see if bettors stick with the Cowboys as superstar receiver Dez Bryant is on the sideline with a broken foot.
- Philadelphia Eagles – Bettors were burned by the Eagles on Monday Night Football as the Eagles lost on the road as 3-point favourites. Philadelphia ranked third on Week 1’s most bet list and gets back to work with a Week 2 date with the Dallas Cowboys that could check in as one of the week’s most popular betting matchups.
Least Popular Bets
- New Orleans Saints – No love for the Saints on the road in Arizona. Just 20 percent of bettors thought the Saints could cover the point spread as 2-point underdogs as the Saints ended up getting smoked 31-19.
- Tennessee Titans – The Titans destroyed Tampa Bay on the road with rookie quarterback Marcus Mariota throwing four touchdowns in his debut. However, this was the least bet matchup on the entire Week 1 schedule, with the Buccaneers slightly edging Tennessee in overall handle.
- Houston Texans – Just 30 percent of bettors backed Houston as a 6-point underdog in their matchup against the visiting Kansas City Chiefs. Kansas City won and covered the point spread.
Super Bowl 50
We’ll run down the weekly tally of Super Bowl bets as the season progresses. So far, the Indianapolis Colts are the most popular bet on the board.
Super Bowl 50 Betting Handle after Week 1
- Indianapolis Colts (0-1)
- Green Bay Packers (1-0)
- Pittsburgh Steelers (0-1)
- New England Patriots (1-0)
- Kansas City Chiefs (1-0)